The BJJ Lifestyle means to… eat healthy, exercise, educate yourself, help people, be friendly and courteous, be determined and goal oriented, and to persevere against adversity.
—Professor Daniel Nycz De Lima
Professor Daniel “Montanha” Nycz De Lima is the owner and head instructor of Montanha Jiu Jitsu Academy in the City of South Miami. Raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Montanha is an accomplished competitor. Professor Daniel was awarded his black belt by Master Carlos Gracie, Jr. Daniel is a currently a 4th degree black belt. Born in Brazil, Daniel began his martial arts journey at the age of 4, competing in Judo. By the age of 7 his family enrolled Daniel in a Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in Rio De Janeiro, where he continued to compete.
It was here, training among members of the Gracie family, competing and sharpening his skills long before it became mainstream outside of Brazil, that Daniel grew into a formidable competitor. Years later, when Gracie Jiu Jitsu exploded with the UFC and NHB tournaments, the opportunity arose for BJJ practitioners to spread their martial art.
Today, Daniel is inspired to share his training and experience with children and young people, so that by teaching them Jiu Jitsu he can help make their lives better. Nothing makes Daniel happier than to see his students succeed and improve inside and outside his Academy.
With over 27 years of Jiu Jitsu experience, Professor Daniel has an extensive record as both competitor and teacher, able to teach a novice or an experienced practitioner and help them achieve their personal goals. In addition to teaching practitioners of all kinds, Professor “Montanha” (as he is known to friends) also frequently gives seminars on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to U.S. law enforcement and military personnel. All are welcome to train and join our team.
- 2011 Florida State Champion
- 2010 Florida Classic Champion
- 2010 American Champion
- 2010 Miami Open Champion
- 2010 No Gi World Champion
- 2005 American International Champion
- 2004 NAGA Pro Division Champion
- 2003 Southwest Grappling Superfight Champion
- World Championships Medalist
- Pan American Medalist
- 3-Time Brazilian Team Champion
- 2-Time Rio De Janeiro State Champion
- Sao Paulo State Absolute Champion
- Espirito Santo State Absolute Champion
Black Belt Students
The following individuals have received training and have been awarded their black belts by Professor Daniel:
- David Durnell, USAF
- Andy Wefald, CSC
- Joe Wilk, CSC
- Sean Roberts, CSC
- Gabriel Woulk, SFC
- Juan Pablo Garcia, PTT
- Ralph Codinach, Montanha BJJ
- Roberto Godoy, Montanha BJJ
- David Padron, Montanha BJJ
- Marcos Dias, Montanha BJJ
- Jorge Zamora, Montanha BJJ
- Jose Molina, Montanha BJJ
- Carlos Gracie Jr.
- Master Carlos, with his organization has brought Jiu Jitsu to nearly every country in the world. He has has a profound influence on Daniel.
- Rickson Gracie
- Master Rickson is widely acknowledged as the best Jiu Jitsu fighter of all time. When actively competing in tournaments and MMA, he was the Gracie family champion. His influence on Daniel is tremendous.
- Totila “Pitoco” Jordan
- Jorge Pereira
- Renzo Gracie
- Ralph Gracie
- Ryan Gracie
- Helio “Soneca” Moreira
- António “Nino” Schembri
- Roberto “Roleta” Magalhaes
- Marcio Feitosa
- Alexandre “Soca” Freitas
- Roberto “Gordo” Correa
- Mauricio “Tinguinha” Mariano
Professor Montanha has held seminars and trained personnel from these State and Federal Associations:
- The Kansas City Police Academy
- The Kansas Fort Riley Army Combatives
- The Florida National Guard
- The FBI
- US Secret Service
- US Army Rangers
Professional MMA Fighters:
Daniel Montanha mentors and trains the instructors of these martial arts schools: